Ever wondered how you could increase the ROI for your online ads? Been curious about why certain ads do better than others? Creating the perfect banner ad can be difficult, but when done well, online advertising can drive traffic to your site and boost sales. “But how is it done?” you might ask.
Here are five keys to success for having more effective online ads:
- Keep it simple – Overly cluttered ads are the easiest way to lose a buyer’s attention. If they can’t tell your company name from your call to action, there’s little chance they’re going to click on your ad. Cut to the chase and define the benefit you’re offering. Is it 25% off? Or were you ranked #1 in 2016? Focus on short, powerful text and a clear image to quickly convey your message.
- Catch their attention – Studies show that you have about 8 seconds to keep someone’s attention. Think outside the box for ways to pique their interest, whether it’s a bold, clear font, a funny headline or a big sale, or a clear and appealing image.
- Appeal to emotion – Your ad needs to relate to a customer’s needs or wants. Consider how many ads feature a person smiling – it implies that the product will make a person happy. Think about your audience and what personal need or want your advertising should convey.
- Put the right ads in the right places – It’s important to ensure that your ads are targeting the appropriate audience at the right times. For example, you wouldn’t put a banner ad for cups in the wearables category in SAGE! Spend some time thinking about the different places your advertising will be located, and then consider the mindset of the customer. How does that influence the ad you choose for that spot?
- Rinse and repeat – You want to be the first company that comes to mind when someone is looking for a product. If a customer has seen your ads repeatedly over time, they are more likely to remember you as a credible, reliable brand. They need to remember who you are, what you sell, and why you’re the best option.
Here are just a few examples of ads we love.
Want to see more tips and tricks on how you can create the perfect advertisement? Check out our Advertising Do’s and Don’ts page loaded with more great examples of ads and our eight rules to live by when designing an ad!